My podcast with SearchCloudComputing‘s Carl Brooks (Twitter’s @eekygeeky) was so much fun. In this two-part podcast, Carl and I talk about all sorts of issues regarding the management of cloud computing – a critical part of EMA’s ‘Responsible Cloud’ approach to cloud computing. Of course I had too much to say to fit in just a single short burst, so this post is about part 2 of the podcast.
In part 2 of podcast, Carl and I talk about:
- cost details, pricing, and licensing models for cloud management tools
- options for open source and ‘freemium’ tools for cloud computing management
- the problems of an old-school approach to cloud computing management
- the issues of paying for cloud computing management using traditional models
- the critical dangers associated with a slow adoption of cloud computing management
- the need to integrate with existing SOA, reporting, and other in-house disciplines
- difficulties of managing on-premise, off-premise, and hybrid clouds
- the real long-term ROI and NPV of cloud computing and management
- the importance of analytics, chargeback, capacity management, and accountability in predictable cost models for cloud computing
- the difficulty of visibility, verifiability, predictability, and the trust relationship with cloud computing providers
- and what to look for in both pricing and general comfort levels
It was a great session. You should check it out at TechTarget’s SearchCloudComputing.com site!